Saturday, November 22, 2008

TWILIGHT

First of all, I am sure this will not be my most popular post, and I am preparing to get some "hate comments" from it.....but with that being said, here it goes!!!!

First of all, Matthew was kind to take me to see Twilight last night. The original plan was we were going to go with other couples from our ward tonight, but then the men realized that conflicted with the BYU/UofU game (go cougs!).....so, that plan got changed....my friend who was co-ordinating all this is going this morning, and said any of us could go with her, with or without spouse, but today is a crazy day....and, since I had already "roped" Matthew in, we decided to go last night.

My take on the movie......well, semi-cheesy acting......I leaned over to Matthew at one point and said this was sort of cheesy.....he said "What do you expect? It is a chick flick"----maybe it has been a while since I have seen a true chick flick....I really am more into the action packed movies, usually.....so that may be why I had that thought.....I did like the "vampire chase"---but even at that, it was not the best action acting ever. So, there is my take on the movie.

Now, my take on the books/story in general..... First of all, just so you know, I am about 1/2 way done with the 2nd book.....I have had a hard time getting into it.....but, after seeing the movie last night, it reminded me some of my thoughts on the first book, and has made me decide I don't really have a need to continue with this series. While reading the first book, it took me forever to get into it....but I kept thinking "at some point this has to be good.....a lot of people love these books.....I will keep reading and find out why".......that is what I thought until the "vampire chase" began....then that hooked me....it got exciting.....after seeing the movie last night, it made me realize why the first part of the story was hard for me to get into, and why I have decided I am done with the books.......The whole "romance" part of the story really bugs me......I mean, two high-school students (yes, I know Edward has a few years on Bella....but still)....they think they are madly in love with each other.....they put themselves in "tempting" situations......(he sneaks up to her bedroom, they are alone in the fields, etc).....they put themselves in these situations, and yet they are able to "resist temptation"----he is able to keep from "eating her to death".....etc.....even though the temptations are there.....anyway.....it just sort of bugs me......I think we have been told time and time again (as teenager....and as adults) to not put ourselves in "tempting situations"----because that is when you lose control, and Satan gains control......it irritates me that the book shows to walk as close to the line as you can, and you can come back to controling the situation.....so, for those reasons, I am done with Twilight!

And as long as I may be making enemies.....this is a book that my daughter will not be reading! She doesn't need to read that boys can sneak into room, that she can get herslef into "alone" situation, etc. And, I, for one, am really quite shocked at the number of girls who are allowed to read this.....I just don't feel like it is really all that appropriate.....

There, I said it.....I am done.

9 comments:

Alisa said...

I've heard mixed feelings about the movie as well. But, what can you expect.....cheesy story line, etc. I think for sure if you haven't read the books it'd be hard to want to watch it. I respect what you said in the post....I get what you're saying, not wanting Jessica to read it, etc.....is it bad the I loved reading them?!! I think I was excited about it especially because I'm not a reader, yet this series got me reading! I think most movies we watch show people putting themselves in tempting situations, so I guess we need to be careful with any medium of entertainment.

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I do have to agree with Alisa, that most entertainment stuff will have its drawbacks.....I think perhaps b/c I have a teenage daughter, it may be hitting me a little differently than other stuff has....I don't know.....I am not saying anyone is bad for reading it (I for sure have not made correct choices when it comes to media entertainment in the past, etc.)....it is just how i have felt....so decided to let my oppinion be made known

karen said...

Soo... you really dont have an opinion on this do you? HeHe I agree. Alicia wont be reading this until she is later in High School for sure.

I did like the movie. Just wish they would have spent a little bit more time establishing the connection between the two. John said it was Decent, that coming from him was GREAT. He might even read the books now. I was going to tell him what happened in the next one but he said no.

kristenhcubed said...

WHAT!? Does this mean I can have my book back!?

I'm just teasing. I'd rather see you keep reading it. I loved the series but I totally know what you mean about questionable situations and the misleading messages they can send. I am not letting my voracious 9 year old reader at them yet. But I will let her when she is older if she wants to. Mostly because I grew up in a house where dialog was paramount and I kinda take the same approach. If it opens up the opportunity for dialogue I view that as a good thing. It is mature. But so are kids these days and some of those situations are ones they actually face. I'd rather have the opportunity to talk to them about it, I guess. We'll see how my theory plays out.

As for the movie. I had low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. Not loved, just liked. I hope they make enough money to buy tri-pods for the next one. I hate the hand-held camera stuff.

And, sorry for flaking out on you. I'm glad you went anyway.

Becky said...

didn't read the series - won't see the movie. thanks for your honest opinion too. i'll have to bring this up in conversation when my daughter starts asking to read them. thanks.

amy stansel said...

yes - agreed. I would never let my teenager read this. However, having said that....you should NEVER take your husband to a movie like this. Also, I think there are some cheesy parts to the book but I personally LOVE the series. It was highly entertaining and I like stephanine meyers stories. The host was really good. I will see the movie in about a week but am not expecting too much. I enjoyed reading your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

I don't understand the hype. I've read the first two books and thought they were just okay. I don't have any desire to read any further. I like the general outline of the story but I couldn't get into her writing.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Keri!!! I read the books and thought they were "ok" but definitely not the greatest ever. It took me a long time to get into them as well. I'm not super thrilled to see the movie, although I probably will at some point. I do think however that these books are totally inappropriate for young children/teens. Maybe by the time they get to high school and can look at them realistically. I am shocked to see the "Twilight" series coming out of the elementary school. Jamie will not be reading these books for many years yet but at some point when she's older I'd let her.