Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Beacon Rock

Matthew took the day off last Friday....originally, we were going to be camping....but, camping spots fill up a lot quicker than what we realized, when we were trying to make reservations....but, given he had already asked for the day off, I told him to keep it off, and let's go do a family outing. Matthew got on line and searched for options, and came up with this fun hike....a hike up Beacon Rock. It is a rock that is on the Washington side of the Gorge.....apparantly it is from the inner core of a VERY OLD volcano.....it was "discovered" and is part of the Lewis and Clark trail/expedition. It was a very family friendly hike.....it was a gorgeous hike.....I do have to admit, there was one spot that literally has no mountain or rock on either side of you....just a small little bridge....anyway, I am not a huge fan of heights, and I was ready to turn around and go back....my family continued, and I realized that I expect my kids to do things all the time that are out of their comfort zone.....I realized I could do this, so I talked myself into it, and continued on with them....I am glad I did! It was a beautiful trail, and the view at the top was amazing. If you are in the area, I would suggest that you check it out sometime.....if you don't live around here....when you come visit us, we will take you! To top off the wonderful hike, our kids were amazing....not once did we hear them complain.....a lot of hikes like this takes some coaxing from us to get them to do it....but, they just went and were having the fun the whole time....definitely a much needed outing for all of us!!!












2 comments:

Becky said...

FUN! I'd totally go if I were in the area. I'm glad you continued on, even though some parts made you nervous. Good for you!!! :)

Todd and Lisa said...

beautiful - and Keri you look FABULOUS!!!!!!